Friday, February 5, 2010

Schomig and the Group think

http://moneywatch.bnet.com/career-advice/blog/other-8-hours/is-social-networking-bad-for-you/136/

While reading the book I ran across a small section about "group think" and the internet, this is a topic I teach about in social psychology so it instantly caught my interest. Group think is when a group pressures others within the group to conform to the group belief, many times people will do this so that they don't become the outsider. I instantly was thinking that people within an online community would act much the opposite, that they would be more likely to stand-up for their ideals because they are not face-to-face, but I do see how this could also still work the opposite way. This article that I have posted talks about the methods that can be used by an individual to avoid falling into the online group think mentality, so that their ideas and creativity are not held back.

No comments:

Post a Comment